Today’s ever-evolving global energy marketplace faces multiple challenges in product development and equipment designing to meet competitive requirements of the market. The increasing cost of energy and the demand to improve the safety and focus on environmental concerns has put a pressure on design engineers that develop equipments for the oil and gas industry.
The energy sector, specifically the oil and gas industry utilizes equipments with complex designs whether for exploration, transportation or refining. It is as such important to have the right design tools on-board that syncs well with the design requirements and keeps the design process smooth and easier to handle. While there are number of CAD tools available to develop digital models, it is SolidWorks that best suits the needs of the oil & gas industry.
With number of useful features, SolidWorks 3D CAD helps manufacturers in meeting the challenges at every product development stage right from conceptualization to manufacturing.
There are several benefits for considering SolidWorks over other CAD tools:
- It provides more robust design data management, automatic drawing generation and documentation tools to enhance the product development efficiency over conventional 2D CAD tools which help in reducing the development cycle and associated costs.
- The concept of design reuse, automation and configuration enables development faster. With 3D Content Central, several models or subassemblies can be directly utilized in the development process of a new product, making it much easier for engineers not to rebuild redundant components.
- SolidWorks consists of multiple features such as weldment design, piping design and large assembly development which further helps in improving the efficiency of the design process required in the oil and gas domain.
- The Sketch Blocks feature can assist engineers in developing initial layouts and determine dynamic relationships of the design. This enables design engineers to develop detailed concept designs easily.
- With integrated Simulation tools, it becomes much easier for engineers to perform virtual simulation tests directly on their 3D CAD solid model developed using SolidWorks CAD. Loads and constraints can be applied directly and the subsequent behavior can be easily visualized, which saves a considerable amount of testing time, which is often available in scarce in oil and gas industry.
- The Motion tools provide similar benefit as the Simulation tool by determining the kinematics and dynamic response analyses on moving assemblies and mechanisms. This is particularly useful to determine the behavior of cranes and handling equipments and further assist designers in sizing the motors and actuators to determine power consumption and improve overall performance of the handling unit.
With high flexibility and user-friendliness, SolidWorks enables quick returns on investment, and provides the ability to share the designed 3D model to be utilized across all the stages, right from conceptualization, communication to marketing.
About Author: Gaurang Trivedi is Engineering consultant at TrueCADD. He has applied his engineering expertise across several highly complex and big scale projects, consequently managing to flawlessly deliver as per the client requirements.
Image Source: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/industries/7133_ENU_HTML.htm