I am considering purchase of 3d printer. Is there any market data available for this industry?

What does it cost to produce a typical model? How much markup is there? What is the time to learn the process?

Views: 3104

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jack,

I'm not sure what you mean by market data. You can purchase a 3D printer for anywhere from $4000 to $80,000+. A number of companies develop 3D printers. HP and Stratasys just announced a desktop 3D printer. (See www.makepartsfast.com for the most current info on 3D printers.) 3D Systems, ZCorp., Objet, divisions of Stratasys and a couple of other vendors make these type of printers. Some will let you print multiple materials simultaneously.
What does it cost to produce a typical model? I assume you are talking about a part model. In which case, cost depends on model complexity and material used for the printed prototype. The more you use the printer, the better the price/performance ratio.
How much markup? Actually, in interviewing various vendors there is not a lot of markup on 3D printers. Most are priced at just slightly above cost. I have heard that a few are priced below cost in order to develop rapid acceptance of this technology.
What is the time to learn the process? Actual use of the 3D printer is pretty quick. Once you have designed your part through CAD and converted it to a STL file, it's pretty much a matter of hit the start button and wait for the printer to print the model, which can take a couple of hours to a day or day and a half, again depending on design complexity.

Hope this info helps you Jack.

Best
Leslie
By market data, I am concerned about finding potential customers for this service. Is there a large market of compamies or individuals looking to have models produced, in other words if I purchase this equipment will I be able to find customers willing to buy my services?

Leslie Langnau said:
Hi Jack,

I'm not sure what you mean by market data. You can purchase a 3D printer for anywhere from $4000 to $80,000+. A number of companies develop 3D printers. HP and Stratasys just announced a desktop 3D printer. (See www.makepartsfast.com for the most current info on 3D printers.) 3D Systems, ZCorp., Objet, divisions of Stratasys and a couple of other vendors make these type of printers. Some will let you print multiple materials simultaneously.
What does it cost to produce a typical model? I assume you are talking about a part model. In which case, cost depends on model complexity and material used for the printed prototype. The more you use the printer, the better the price/performance ratio.
How much markup? Actually, in interviewing various vendors there is not a lot of markup on 3D printers. Most are priced at just slightly above cost. I have heard that a few are priced below cost in order to develop rapid acceptance of this technology.
What is the time to learn the process? Actual use of the 3D printer is pretty quick. Once you have designed your part through CAD and converted it to a STL file, it's pretty much a matter of hit the start button and wait for the printer to print the model, which can take a couple of hours to a day or day and a half, again depending on design complexity.

Hope this info helps you Jack.

Best
Leslie
Hi Jack,

My name is Vicky Barile and I am the National Representative from uPrintSource.com. We represent the uPrint and uPrint Plus Desktop 3D Printers by Dimension, which uses the Fused Deposition Modeling Process for "Printing" and produces parts from durable ABS Thermoplastic Materials.

I can provide you with information regarding our Printers and Technology. My company is actually a Full Line Reseller for Stratasys, which means that we represent the uPrint (desktop models), Dimension Workgroup 3D Printers and Fortus 3D Production Systems.

I agree with Leslie re: the cost to print a model. What I can do for you is provide you with a detailed ROI Analysis based on one of your Sample Models. If you send me a sample STL File, I can give you the Time to Print, Associated Costs, etc.

The cost difference can range when using an Outside Vendor such as a Service Bureau or having an in-house 3D Printer. Generally, a Service Bureau can have up to a 8 x's mark-up on cost vs. owning your own machine. I can provide you detailed information if you were to send me a sample model proving this information.

As for the uPrint 3D Printer, there is a very little learning curve. My customers are up and running printing parts within a couple hours after receiving their machines. We also provide our clients with Online Orientation and ongoing Customer Technical Support via Phone, Web and In-Person.

If you are interested in learning more about the uPrint and uPrint Plus 3D Printer or the entire Stratasys Family of 3D Printers and Production Systems. Please reach out to me and I would be happy to discuss this topic in more detail.

Regards,

Vicky Barile
Business Development Manager
www.uPrintSource.com
vbarile at uprintsource.com
Hi Victoria,
Thank you for your reply. In the next few days I will find a "typical model" of one of the many parts I have created. If you can provide a time and cost estimate as well as ROI for a basic printer setup that would be great. You do not need to actually produce the part. This will help me decide if it is in my interest to acyually purchase a machine and offer printing services to other customers.
Once again, Thank you. Your response has been the most detailed and informative I have recieved thus far.

Regards,
Jack DePasquale
Hi Jack,

Sure no problem, you're welcome! I'd be happy to help. Just contact me when you're ready.

Thanks!

Vicky
www.uPrintSource.com

Jack DePasquale said:
Hi Victoria,
Thank you for your reply. In the next few days I will find a "typical model" of one of the many parts I have created. If you can provide a time and cost estimate as well as ROI for a basic printer setup that would be great. You do not need to actually produce the part. This will help me decide if it is in my interest to acyually purchase a machine and offer printing services to other customers.
Once again, Thank you. Your response has been the most detailed and informative I have recieved thus far.

Regards,
Jack DePasquale
Jack,

There are many different technologies and numerous material and model options. Machines range from 5K to over $1 Million.

Maybe if you explained a little bit about the type of applications you are looking at for prototyping and I'll be able to provide some more useful information.

Thanks,
Cory
Jack,

I hope all is well and just wanted to check in with you. The last time we messaged you were still researching 3DP Technologies. When is a good time for us to connect? Shoot me a quick email at vbarile AT uprintsource.com and we'll set up a time.

Best regards,

Vicky Barile
www.uPrintSource.com
Attachments:
Hi Jack,

Lots of info out there - try www.makepartsfast.com as well as look up Terry Whoeler's (spelling error here) he and another guy Todd Grimm provide a lot of industry data - companies to look at are
Ojbet
3D Systems
Stratasys
Dimension
EOS

Hope this helps.

WTWH, Scott
I agree with Scott. Those are great resources. I've attached the Todd Grimm Report for you.

Best,

Vicky

Vicky Barile
www.uPrintSource.com

Scott McCafferty said:
Hi Jack,

Lots of info out there - try www.makepartsfast.com as well as look up Terry Whoeler's (spelling error here) he and another guy Todd Grimm provide a lot of industry data - companies to look at are
Ojbet
3D Systems
Stratasys
Dimension
EOS

Hope this helps.

WTWH, Scott
Attachments:
Thank you for the info. I have been away for the last few weeks installing equipment so I have quite a bit of email to catch up on. I will probably start looking into a purchase shortly after the new year begins and will definately be in contact.
You're welcome. I am here when you are ready... My number and email are posted on our website. I'm @ ext. 219. :)

I am looking forward to learning more about your application.

Best regards,

Vicky
www.uPrintSource.com

Jack DePasquale said:
Thank you for the info. I have been away for the last few weeks installing equipment so I have quite a bit of email to catch up on. I will probably start looking into a purchase shortly after the new year begins and will definately be in contact.
Another significantly technology to look at is Z Corporation. They do full 24 bit color printing, which nobody else is capable of.

RSS

Members

© 2019   Created by Marshall Matheson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service