Information

Nuclear Energy

Group for nuclear power, fusion, space, waste, and medical isotope industries.

Members: 52
Latest Activity: May 23

Discussion Forum

Coal vs Nuclear

Started by Jim Hill. Last reply by Jim Hill Jul 1, 2010. 6 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Nuclear Energy to add comments!

Comment by Alex Lara on October 14, 2009 at 1:28pm
There is also a joint venture, as part of this nations nuclear non proliferation agreements, that is builidng facilities to mix uranium oxide and weapons grade plutonium.

The facility will take surplus weapon-grade plutonium, remove impurities, and mix it with uranium oxide to form MOX fuel pellets for reactor fuel assemblies. These assemblies will be irradiated in commercial nuclear power reactors.

The question I have is; is this the "closed" fuel cyle spoken about in your NEI reference.? NEI had no mention of mixing the spent fuel with plutonium.
Comment by Blake Richardson on October 14, 2009 at 1:16pm
Where does everyone see the future of the Nuclear industry going in the USA in the next 2 years, 5 years and 10 years...
Comment by Taylor Johnson on October 14, 2009 at 1:04pm
Sorry, I guess I should have sent some links to support my claims below. Here is a link to the Nuclear Energy Institue and their short bit about nuclear waste recycling.
Comment by Taylor Johnson on October 14, 2009 at 12:54pm
Interestingly enough, waste disposal isn't as big of an issue as many people believe it is. The DOE is currently building a plant that will recycle spent uranium rods.

Currently, only about 5% of a uranium rod's capacity is used and the remaining 95% discarded as waste. What this plant is capable of doing is taking that 95% waste and recycling it a number of times until only 3% of the original material is discarded.

Also, it is important to note that after the first recycling center is built here in the US, energy officials plan to install recycling centers on or near nuclear power plants so that transportation to and from the center is not an issue.

For permanent disposal, look up the term Yucca Mountain. It is a permanent storage facility deep inside a mountain range in the middle of a Nevada desert.
Comment by George Pollock on October 14, 2009 at 12:19pm
One of the big blocks is the problem of waste disposal. What do other countries do about that?
Comment by Taylor Johnson on October 14, 2009 at 11:19am
"So, how many years out will we start seeing nuclear engineering jobs really pick up?

Alex, that is a very good question. It is a question that is hard to point to much true evidence, however we can look at the facts surrounding the nuclear industry today.

The most recent nuclear plant was built in the US over 30 years ago. Since the problems of Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, Americans have been afraid of the potential hazards nuclear reactors present.

However, the recent (past 10 years) success of nuclear energy in European countries such as France and Belgium have really sparked an interest again in the nuclear field. Currently there are a handful of companies here in the US looking to build a nuclear plant. Exelon, the company with the largest nuclear portfolio, actually has the plans and permits to build a (I believe 10,000 MW, don't quote me on size) plant in South East Texas.

If Exelon's plant proves to come in under or near budget, I am confident other companies will join the race and the need for nuclear engineers will boom. This being said, I believe the answer to your question is that demand for nuclear engineers should dramatically increase within the next 10 years or so.
Comment by Ahmad Makky on October 7, 2009 at 11:44am
Hi everyone im in nuclear engineering and im in NPP pipeline simulation project, if anyone could help me to give me a source of information about this subject, i will be thankful.
Thanke you.......
Comment by divine on August 6, 2009 at 10:31pm
In my country we have saw dust as waste from , I think it will yield well when we start processing it as chip boad or using to generate Energy here in Ghana. But I guess alot of investment must be done
Comment by Eng. Sydney Mulenga on August 6, 2009 at 2:34am
In my country we have uranium as waste from copper mine, I think it will yield well when we start processing it here in Zambia. But I guess alot of investment must be done.
Comment by Alex Lara on June 11, 2009 at 1:55pm
So, how many years out will we start seeing nuclear engineering jobs really pick up.??
 

Members (52)

 
 
 

Members

© 2019   Created by Marshall Matheson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service