How long before paper solar panels become a reality????

I recently came across an article that said that MIT was able to print a solar cell on regular paper (MIT Successfully Prints Solar Cell on Everyday Paper). 

It says that it is years from being commercialized, but I would like to hear from some people who are more familiarized with the production/innovation side of solar on their opinion on when we should see this become economically feasible.

Anyone else have any insights about the product as well?

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We know companies like Konarka do ink jet solar panels on plastic.
http://www.konarka.com/

So, I would think it would be only a question of time before we are able print a solar cell on our desk top
Continuous web converting of paper or plastic in reel form is a very cost effective process and would take the solar industry to a completely new era.

Dreaming further we could have a contractor come in and retrofit older houses with solar panels by spraying (ink jetting) them on. Ink Jetting with designer chemicals is viable technology and extremely cost effective as they can work patterns off a tiff or bitmap file

This is a great area for continued discussion
Daniel Christadoss said:
We know companies like Konarka do ink jet solar panels on plastic.
http://www.konarka.com/

So, I would think it would be only a question of time before we are able print a solar cell on our desk top
Continuous web converting of paper or plastic in reel form is a very cost effective process and would take the solar industry to a completely new era.

Dreaming further we could have a contractor come in and retrofit older houses with solar panels by spraying (ink jetting) them on. Ink Jetting with designer chemicals is viable technology and extremely cost effective as they can work patterns off a tiff or bitmap file

This is a great area for continued discussion

Wow, what a concept! Painting solar cells on a house...that's baffling to the mind.

A thought that jumps to mind, if you could feasibly paint solar cells onto a house, who's to say we should stop there? I think that a very viable option (once that technology becomes feasible) would be to paint cars with solar cells; I'm not 100 percent positive of what the style of the car would look like, but it could revolutionize the electric/hybrid car industry.
Lance,
I am happy you like the idea.
I do agree with you. Ink jetting an EV with Solar Cells is an excellent idea
Here is a blog which gets closer to your dream. It uses power plastic solar panels and ink jetting wiring. Purely conceptual.
http://dancrissco.wordpress.com/category/sustainable-cities/pemmpod...
This EV also doubles up as an office work station and was written in answer to Chris bangle's (Ex BMW) request that our Personal Emotional Mobiles should be assembled like a personal PC out of off the shelf modular components.
In what ways would it double as a personal work station?

Daniel Christadoss said:
This EV also doubles up as an office work station and was written in answer to Chris bangle's (Ex BMW) request that our Personal Emotional Mobiles should be assembled like a personal PC out of off the shelf modular components.
Lance,
Thanks for the question.
Imagine an office of the future. Huge halls with no cubicles, only docking/charging station on the peripheral walls or over head power ways.
The pemmPOD is self propelled and has a swivel monitor and key boards build on the arm rests.
The PC also acts as the controller for the solar electric drive of the mobile.
The knowledge worker of the future would use the mobile to travel a couple of days a week to his office.
He would drive his mobile right into his office and join meetings or other activities in his mobile.
For example if the user is a manufacturing engineer he could do his rounds of the various pieces of equipment and catch up with his emails, reports etc. as he monitored the equipment. So would doctors, electricians, nurses and supervisors. So, it would be a mobile office.
He would have his PC on the mobile with him at all times serving as a work station. It would be self powered and as such he need to go to a docking/charging station only if required. He could seek out light pipes to charge his solar panel inside the office.
Then he could return home and still use the same mobile as his work station if required.
The mobile could also work as a power source for the home using non peak power stored in its batteries.
That in essence is the concept. It came about when I realized that I was spending quite a lot of time between my office and my line equipment.
I would be interested in your thoughts on this concept.
Attachments:
Daniel,

Interesting concept to say the least. As i was reading your description, I was picturing myself driving around in a pemmPOD and thinking how it could change my work experience. I think that it could dramatically increase my per minute production while I am working, never having to leave my computer and always having it with me to jot my thoughts/ideas.

Obviously this is years away from conception, but an inherent issue I see would be space; it would take decades to construct new buildings that would accommodate the space and ramps needed for when a majority of people use pemmPODs. But, my fallacy is putting a futuristic object into a present setting. I'm sure people that listened to Alexander Grahm Bell would have pessimistically said something along the lines of "if everyone has a telephone, where will you put the MILLIONS of wires required?"
Lance,
I know it's an old thread, but I have an interest in the Printable Solar technology.
Back to your comment about A.G. Bell, they didn't have optic cables, I worked on Flour Global's Optic systems for several communication firms. Boy would the nay-sayers eat their words today.
I have been attempting to keep up with the printable solar technology, since I was once an EE. If you have viable current links, I would be very interested in exploring them. A partener of mine and I have tried unsucessfully for 2 years to market "Off the Grid" technology, including solar heat and elec power, Hydrogen/Oxy mix as heating fuel ( HHO from H2O ) , magnetic drive technology, Tesla devices for practical use, multi-phase configurable low speed alternator technology, alcohol production techniques, and Digester technologies.
The printable technology is quite viable, and fits directly into our model, although it does have a limited lifetime...but it can be re-printed to extend it's lifetime. I am quite interested in this technology. If you have additional links, I would appreciate an email to them.
Bill Redd unlimited_design@msn.com
Bill -

I unfortunately don't have any links that come to mind. The only suggestion I would have is to google it and see what turns up.
Been there, done that.
Thanks,
Bill Redd

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

© 2019   Created by Marshall Matheson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service