Let us know what you think about today's article on the new wind lens--an idea that would focus the wind into a rotor by means of a hoop.

Learn more now: http://bit.ly/9UhNDa

Tags: engineering, lens, turbine, wind, windpower

Views: 547

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Susan
Thanks for your feedback re the entrepreneurial stuff. As a salesman first, marketer second, inventor third and aspiring engineer I see so often great ideas that are just that; ideas.
The idea of an engineer/entrepreneur is ( I think) usually an oxymoron itself, in Australia the most successful entrepreneurs are people who have worked the factory floors and streets first then had a great idea, then made it succeed, and then been able to get themselves some engineering qualifications, if they bother.
Other ways of making things happen is to get assistance from a government backed enterprise like the CSIRO, and then they take ownership of the intellectual property.
Anyway, what is your background?
I see you come from Design World which I also subscribe to, how did you come to be linked with them?
Any stuff you have like I posted, please send me if you like ( ross.mcneilage@yahoo.com.au ) or just post them.

Thanks and cheers

Ross McNeilage
Hi everyone,

I guess you have all seen this article ( http://au.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.gx=1&.rand=8a03d35hq9ihm ) see the bit about the medium sized VAWT installation.
Alan, it would be a great opportunity for you to use that installation as a data/power and cost comparison to further sales of your system, if that is all that is otherwise available.

cheers
Ross
Holy cow. They'd have to have a med-evac helicopter hovering somewhere nearby for me to do that!
Yep
my comfort limit is about 40 feet.
I wonder if he base jumps to get down?
It's an interesting design for sure. From the conceptual drawing the hoop design looks somewhat unstable and prone to bending moments that would knock it over.  The pylons holding the structure would have to be more substantial and the the power required to turn the entire mass (hoop and support structure) into the wind would probably be considerable and it would have to move relatively slowly so varying wind direction could be a problem for positioning.   It also appears that the hoop and turbine blades spin as a single unit requiring some heavy duty bears on the hoop.  Where is the power generation? It is incorporated into the hoop itself like a radial generator or taken off the hoop rim by mechanical connection to a generator?
The hoop is nice but the Vortex Wind Funnel is a better solution. It does what the Lens does plus a lot more. It is stronger lighter and produces more power per square inch than any turbine known at this time and in test conducted we think we broke Betz limit(only a theory) between 4 and 14 mph. The reason I say that we think we broke Betz Limit is that the test were done in a very turbulent location. So our data could be off by 5 or 10 percent. But even being close to Betz Limit is something to be happy about. For more information just Google Vortex Wind Funnel.

Hi Jerry et al

Am I right in thinking that the much of the wind, upon entry to the unit, hits the back face of the unit and then does a right turn and forces its way out of the unit through the blades.

If so, have you;

measured the pressure being exerted backwards on the unit as a function of the wind velocity;

calculated the increased wind velocity (probably a constant) constant at the rear face of the unit.

This increase may be where the Betz variation comes into play because you are not (in theory) harnessing the ambient wind energy available outside the unit, but the wind at the velocity at the rear face and that velocity would vary as you come forwards to the lead edge of the blades?

Yes,no, maybe?

I should image that Andrew's  venturi system throws Betz Law all over the place if you are working with the outside ambient wind velocity as well.

My 20c worth on the data collection you have done.

next suggestion, stop me if you have heard this..

because you are turning the wind at 90deg then I suggest that you are losing a potential source of extra energy harvest by creating a blocking/turbulence area.

Take the number 8 and cut it vertically down the middle, get rid of one half, and you have a shape that looks like two semicircles side by side.

If you were to make the cross-sectional view of your machine look like that profile, with your axle placed through the point where the two semicircles meet, instead of a flat surface at the rear you would have a smoothly rounded surface for the wind to travel into and through.

If the blades were formed, as they are now, but curving to the apex of the curve, then you would no longer have the 90deg turn of the air flow, and experience less turbulence and less back pressure on the axle, increasing the power harvest.

It might be a bit harder to make than your ( no offence ) simple 'bucket' shape, but it may be worth it.

Cheers

Ross McNeilage

Ross I tried to Imagine what you were saying in your post but I had trouble following the logic. Would be easier with a diagram. To clarify why the Vortex Wind funnel works so well look at the ring on the lens. It scoops the air to the inside increasing the air pressure/velocity on the blades. The Vortex Wind funnel does this but uses most of the energy as it crosses the blades. You can probably see more information if you Google Vortex Wind Funnel
Ross McNeilage said:

Hi Jerry et al

Am I right in thinking that the much of the wind, upon entry to the unit, hits the back face of the unit and then does a right turn and forces its way out of the unit through the blades.

If so, have you;

measured the pressure being exerted backwards on the unit as a function of the wind velocity;

calculated the increased wind velocity (probably a constant) constant at the rear face of the unit.

This increase may be where the Betz variation comes into play because you are not (in theory) harnessing the ambient wind energy available outside the unit, but the wind at the velocity at the rear face and that velocity would vary as you come forwards to the lead edge of the blades?

Yes,no, maybe?

I should image that Andrew's  venturi system throws Betz Law all over the place if you are working with the outside ambient wind velocity as well.

My 20c worth on the data collection you have done.

next suggestion, stop me if you have heard this..

because you are turning the wind at 90deg then I suggest that you are losing a potential source of extra energy harvest by creating a blocking/turbulence area.

Take the number 8 and cut it vertically down the middle, get rid of one half, and you have a shape that looks like two semicircles side by side.

If you were to make the cross-sectional view of your machine look like that profile, with your axle placed through the point where the two semicircles meet, instead of a flat surface at the rear you would have a smoothly rounded surface for the wind to travel into and through.

If the blades were formed, as they are now, but curving to the apex of the curve, then you would no longer have the 90deg turn of the air flow, and experience less turbulence and less back pressure on the axle, increasing the power harvest.

It might be a bit harder to make than your ( no offence ) simple 'bucket' shape, but it may be worth it.

Cheers

Ross McNeilage

I did study the website.

How about..

If you are looking straight into the unit as it faces the wind then the point at which the axle connects with the rear face of the unit is much further forwards than it is at the moment, (apart from the funnel) the air mass is a doughnut/bagel shape with a very small hole in the middle (axle) so the wind runs more smoothly round a curve instead of buffeting against a flat surface.

I am not good at CAD but I will try and make a diagram for it.

cheers

www.warp-eneco.com/warp.php

above is another variation on the lens theme, and these guys really are rocket scientists!

Hey Jerry

I found it.

Its called a Horn Torus and its actually a regular 3D shape

commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Standard_torus-horn.png

If you put your blades on the outside half of the curve and your axle through the point it will positively effect the wind flow

RSS

Members

© 2014   Created by Marshall Matheson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service